Borage is an herb that is said to have originated in the Middle East, but is now cultivated in many regions of Europe, North America and Asia. Sometimes known as a starflower, Borage showcases beautiful, blue star-shaped flowers. The leaves and flowers are edible and are enjoyed in teas, salads and in other culinary dishes.
The small, dark brown seeds of the Borage plant yield a prized oil that is considered one of the richest sources of Gamma-linolenic Acid (GLA), an Omega-6 fatty acid.
Our Borage Seed Oil is carefully produced, refined and packaged to maintain the purity, freshness and beneficial properties of this highly nutritive oil.
The shelf life of Borage Seed Oil is two years when stored unopened in original packaging in a cool, dark location. Once opened, we recommend blanketing the oil under nitrogen and retesting the oil every 2 months.
Borage Seed Oil Properties:
- Rapid Absorption
- Highly Moisturizing
- Medium Viscosity
- Transluscent, Pale Yellow Hue
- Mild, Characteristic Aroma
- Fatty Acid Composition:
- C16:0 Palmitic Acid: 9.0-12.0%
- C16:1 Palmitoleic Acid: Trace-0.6
- C18:0 Stearic Acid: 3.0-5.5%
- C18:1 Oleic Acid: 15.0-20.0%
- C18:2 Linoleic Acid (Omega-6 EFA): 35.0-39.0%
- C18:3 Gamma Linolenic Acid - GLA (Omega-6): 20.0 Minimum
- C18:3 Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega-3 EFA): Trace-0.5%
- C20:0 Arachidic Acid: Trace-0.5%
- C20:1 Eicosenoic Acid: 3.9-4.3%
- C22:1 Docosenoic Acid: 2.4-2.7%
- C24:1 Tetracosenoic Acid: 1.4-1.7%
Borage Seed Oil is a highly emollient oil that hydrates, nourishes and protects the skin. The fatty and essential fatty acid composition of Borage Seed Oil and its impressive content of GLA makes it especially helpful in moisturizing the skin and soothing an array of skin conditions. It helps balance all skin types and is well suited for use in a wide array of personal care applications that include formulations intended for problem, damaged, maturing or sensitive skin. In hair care applications, Borage Seed Oil thoroughly conditions and helps to restore and protect the health of hair.
Borage Seed Oil is Perfectly Suited for the Following Personal Care Applications:
- Skin Care
- Lip Care
- Hair Care
Recommended Usage Rate: 1-100%
*Shelf life begins on the date of manufacture and is defined as the average reasonable shelf life of an ingredient
when it is stored and handled properly.